Das Alpinforum wird ausschließlich durch Werbung finanziert.
Wir würden uns freuen, wenn du deinen Adblocker für das Alpinforum deaktivieren würdest! Danke!

How long can I wait to make last minute booking?

Here you can talk about international Themes, The Alps and specific technical things!

Moderator: TPD

Forumsregeln
porter
Massada (5m)
Skitage 17/18: 0
Skitage 18/19: 0
Ski: nein
Snowboard: nein
Danksagung erhalten: 0

How long can I wait to make last minute booking?

Beitrag von porter » 10.10.2016 - 23:19

Hello,

I am an American who just purchased a flight to Munich for 12-21 January. I know the long-term weather forecast is not good, but I would like to have accommodation reservations before I leave.

I am flexible about where I go -- anywhere from eastern Switzerland to all of southern Germany and Austria and parts of northern Italy. I would be staying in a pension or bed and breakfast in a town center, not ski-in ski out, probably in the 40-50 euro range.

Question: how long can I safely wait to make accommodation bookings?

Werbung wird nicht durch das Alpinforum bereitgestellt, sondern durch Google. Besucher dieser Links werden gebeten sorgfaeltig mit den angebotenen Produkten/Seiten umzugehen.

jonsson
Großer Müggelberg (115m)
Ski: ja

Re: How long can I wait to make last minute booking?

Beitrag von jonsson » 10.10.2016 - 23:47

Hey,

I think in this period it will not be so hard to find a free place to stay especially if you are flexible where to stay.
So I would recommend book a pension right before you´re heading to Europe.

Safe trip and take care.
Saison 2013/14: 3x St. Anton/Stuben; 1x Warth/Schröcken/Lech; 3x Almenwelt Lofer; 1xSportgastein; 2xWeißsee Gletscherwelt; 1xWestendorf/Brixental; 1x Matrei/Osttirol
Saison 2014/15: 1x Kitzsteinhorn; 6x Almenwelt Lofer; 3x Weißsee Gletschwelt; 2x Glungezer; 1xIBK Nordkette; 2x Axamer Lizum; 1x Kappl; 1x Fieberbrunn
Saison 2015/16: 1x Stubaier Gletscher; 1x Hintertuxer Gletscher; 1x SHLF; 2x Axamer Lizum; 2x Sonnenkopf; 2x Kappl; 3x See/Paznaun; 1x Ischgl
Saison 2016/17: 4x Almenwelt Lofer, 1x SHLF, 1xChristlum, 3xHochgurgl/Obergurgl, 1xSFL, 1xKappl, 3x Hochoetz
Saison 2017/18: (geplant 6x Hochoetz, 6x Oberstdorf, 2x Kappl)

danimaniac
Feldberg (1493m)
Skitage 17/18: 7
Skitage 18/19: 8
Snowboard: ja
Danksagung erhalten: 135 Mal

Beitrag von danimaniac » 11.10.2016 - 12:58

Question 1:
Are you going to change location during your stay? - If so I would try to book a Pension somewhere in a reasonable distance from the Airport (like Innsbruck or Landeck area) just to "arrive" and get the first skidays in at resorts which generally have no problem if the winter is lacing natural snow. Take that as basecamp and than procede by following the powder forecast or the General snow conditions.
As this period of time deos not collide with any european major vacations I won't mind to look for accomodation just a week prior to Arrival.

Have fun!

If you strand anywhere I bet you will find help by posting here.
wird mal wieder Zeit für ein Snowboard-Abenteuer in Skandinavien...

Jens
Zuckerhütl (3507m)
Danksagung erhalten: 18 Mal

Beitrag von Jens » 11.10.2016 - 18:16

Hi,
have a look at booking.com, there you can find hotels but alos a lot of penions and B&B's. If you sleep outside the big ski areas you will find a lot with good cancelation policies and the website is available in english. But take care that the accomodation has a free parking lot next to the house. In some bigger cities parking lots are away from the hotel or very expensice. By serching with the map you can also see the ski areas.
Tiefschnee muss gewalzt sein

porter
Massada (5m)

Beitrag von porter » 12.10.2016 - 17:02

Thank you for the responses, everyone. That is very helpful.

Yes, I plan to be in at least two areas during my stay.

On a two-week trip several years ago I stayed in Flachau for 6 days, Kitzbuhel for 4 days, and Innsbruck for 3 days.

I plan to do something similar on this trip -- an ideal trip might be something like Landeck for 4 days and Zell am Ziller for 4 days before returning to Munich and flying out. An alternative to Zell am Ziller might be to be based in the Davos/Lenzerheide area for a few days. I understand that Switzerland would be more expensive but since it's only for a short visit it might be financially feasible.

Any thoughts or advice on such a travel plan?

jonsson
Großer Müggelberg (115m)

Beitrag von jonsson » 12.10.2016 - 20:03

Can you tell us a bit more about your favors so we can give you more advice?
E.g. Do you prefer off-piste or on-piste? Are you interested in apres ski?

Greets from SoCal.
Saison 2013/14: 3x St. Anton/Stuben; 1x Warth/Schröcken/Lech; 3x Almenwelt Lofer; 1xSportgastein; 2xWeißsee Gletscherwelt; 1xWestendorf/Brixental; 1x Matrei/Osttirol
Saison 2014/15: 1x Kitzsteinhorn; 6x Almenwelt Lofer; 3x Weißsee Gletschwelt; 2x Glungezer; 1xIBK Nordkette; 2x Axamer Lizum; 1x Kappl; 1x Fieberbrunn
Saison 2015/16: 1x Stubaier Gletscher; 1x Hintertuxer Gletscher; 1x SHLF; 2x Axamer Lizum; 2x Sonnenkopf; 2x Kappl; 3x See/Paznaun; 1x Ischgl
Saison 2016/17: 4x Almenwelt Lofer, 1x SHLF, 1xChristlum, 3xHochgurgl/Obergurgl, 1xSFL, 1xKappl, 3x Hochoetz
Saison 2017/18: (geplant 6x Hochoetz, 6x Oberstdorf, 2x Kappl)

porter
Massada (5m)

Beitrag von porter » 12.10.2016 - 21:18

Yes -- thanks.

I am interesting in piste skiing for this trip. I have zero interest in nightlife or shopping. I do need to seek budget accommodation and keep travel expenses in check. I will be traveling by bus and train only. I like good scenery. Since I am dependent on public transit I need to be in a location convenient to bus and trains.

For example, several years ago when I stayed in Flachau, I was in a 30 euro pension, had breakfast there and got food from a grocery store to eat in my room at night. I skied Flachau to Alpendorf one day, then Flachauwinkl/Zauchensee, Reiteralm to Hauser Kaibling, Dachstein Gletscher to Ramsau au Dachstein, and Radstadt/Zauchensee. I then took a train to Kitzbuehl, stayed at a hostel, and did a similar thing -- Kitzbuel to Mittersill one day, SkiWelt the next, then Fieberbrunn and Waidring.

I am hoping to do something similar on this trip.

For example, I was thinking:

Day 1: fly to MUC, train to Landeck
Day 2: Ischgl
Day 3: Serfaus/Fiss
Day 4: Kapple/See
Day 5: store bags in hotel, ski Zams, and in afternoon train to, maybe, Chur?
Day 6: Arosa/Lenzerheide
Day 7: Davos
Day 8: Laax/Flims
Day 9: check out, ski Chur, and in afternoon train to Munich
Day 10: fly home

Something like that? Does that make sense? I know that Chur does not have 40 euro b&B rooms but they seem to have some "reasonable" accommodations.

Werbung wird nicht durch das Alpinforum bereitgestellt, sondern durch Google. Besucher dieser Links werden gebeten sorgfaeltig mit den angebotenen Produkten/Seiten umzugehen.

Rüganer
Alpspitze (2628m)
Danksagung erhalten: 61 Mal

Beitrag von Rüganer » 13.10.2016 - 10:32

My advice :
- take a rental car, unbelievable cheap , for example 109 € in Munich
https://mietwagen.check24.de/cars/list/ ... r0bqe357p1

- than go to the Dolomites in Southern Tirol :D , especially in January often sunny and Ski Area ist very impressive.
bookings
http://www.valgardena.it/de/
http://www.kronplatz.com/de

- its about 2-3 hours from Munich

- have fun !

Ulmer
Großer Müggelberg (115m)
Skitage 17/18: 15

Beitrag von Ulmer » 27.10.2016 - 18:20

Wherever you go mid January you will have no problems to find accomodation. Particular if you are flexibel and do not insist on ski in ski out accomodation.
If you want to go to more than or two location during your stay I think the advice to rent a car is very good. It is relatively cheap and gives you a lot of flexibility. And with google Maps you will easily make your way through the Alps.

Bjoerndetmold
Großer Müggelberg (115m)

Beitrag von Bjoerndetmold » 27.10.2016 - 21:52

The time you've chosen for your holidays is excellent. It's the cheapest week (no school holidays anywhere) and you've got really good chances to have good snow.

You won't have problems to get any accommodation you want. The latter, the cheaper.

So wait till the week before your flight goes, take a look at the actual conditions and book something where the best snow ❄ has fallen.

Björn
Wie heißt es schon in Monty Python's "Das Leben des Brian": Gepriesen sind die Skifahrer!

Sie lesen eine amtlich entschärfte Signatur. Bitte beachten Sie, dass die Verwendung dieses Zitats keinesfalls ein Affront gegenüber Personen sein soll, welche sich nicht auf Skiern bewegen.

Antworten

Zurück zu „English and/et francais“