• Willkommen im neuen Alpinforum!

    Das Alpinforum ist erfolgreich auf die neue Forensoftware XenForo umgezogen. Benutzerkonten und Foreninhalte wurden übernommen, sodass ihr euch wie gewohnt anmelden könnt.

    Schaut euch gerne um und probiert die neuen Funktionen aus. Solltet ihr Fehler oder Unstimmigkeiten entdecken, meldet sie bitte im entsprechenden Thema.

    Alle Informationen zur Migration und zum neuen Forum findet ihr hier:

    Zur ausführlichen Ankündigung

    Viel Spaß im neuen Alpinforum!

    Euer Alpinforum-Team

Diedamskopf, AT 30/01/15

Endlich bekommt dieses Forum einige Berichte von einem Skifahrer aus den USA (in der Nähe von New York). Nachdem ich in den letzten acht Jahren Skiferien in Ischgl, Lech/Zürs 2x, und die Kitzbüheler Alpen verbracht habe, entschloß ich mich diesen Winter eine Region kennenzulernen, die ein bißchen abseits der ausgetretenen Pfade ist, jedenfalls für Amerikaner: Vorarlberg.

Mein Flug ist in Zürich angekommen, wo ich einen Mietwagen abgeholt habe weil ich vorhatte, Bregenzerwald, Montafon, sowie Brandnertal innerhalb einer Woche zu besuchen.

Seitdem ich nicht viel Zeit habe alles zu übersetzen, mache ich ein Copy/Paste von einem amerikanischen Forum. So ist das Bericht um so authentischer! Sie können natürlich auf Deutsch antworten.

Day 1: Diedamskopf
For Europeans, this is considered a tiny "local's hill." I was told by someone at the hotel that I'd only need a few hours to ski it out, but Diedamskopf felt pretty roomy to me. I could've easily spent a couple days here. Like many ski areas in Austria, you take a gondola from an unassuming wooded base and ascend a couple thousand vertical feet above the treeline to mid-mountain and then another couple thousand feet to the summit.

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/file/n4053840/8572c07a1c686121_bf1edc224c432f30.jpg


From there, you have a pretty wide open bit of terrain to choose from. They'd received a quick top-off the night before, but the previous big snow was three days earlier, so without hiking, it was mostly soft sloppy seconds, but the off-piste snow was in good condition.

004.jpg


006.jpg



You can walk a couple minutes from the top lift to the actual summit -- which has a cross, a feature at virtually every Austrian mountain and always a photo op -- and nail a few turns.

009.jpg


008.jpg



By 3 pm, I saw what looked like my best shot given the short time frame I had to work with -- a ridgeline along the far skier's right that you traverse for about five minutes.

011.jpg



At little bit further...

012.jpg



And then you can drop in wherever. Tracked up, but it felt good.

013.jpg



I could've gotten a cleaner line with a more extensive traverse, but jet lag was setting in, so I settled for a few knee-deep turns:

014.jpg



Reverse shot:

015.jpg



By 4 pm, clouds had moved in ahead of a storm system.

018.jpg



In short, a nice warm-up for the next week and given the two storm days coming up, these may be my only photos with clear sightlines until Tuesday. After a slow start (as was the case across the entire Alps), snow has been falling steadily and they're now at avy level 3. Yesterday at the Damüls ski area, where I'll be on Monday, two people were buried in a side-country slide with one death, so obviously, I'm not going to be going far afield without a guide.

I'm staying at the very pleasant Hotel Krone in the village of Au.

hotel-krone.jpg



The owners, the Lingg family, are major francophiles and have created an ambiance and level of cuisine that's become a favorite with French visitors.

022.jpg



The convivial Herr Lingg stops by at every table to greet guests and chat for a few minutes: a very cool extra feature.

021.jpg



Some food porn:

020.jpg


019.jpg


Tomorrow: Warth-Schröcken
 
I like this area very much and I'm happy to see your post. Now I'm surching your other ones. Just saw posts of European in US or Canada now vice versa.
 
SaMiFu schrieb:
I like this area very much and I'm happy to see your post. Now I'm surching your other ones. Just saw posts of European in US or Canada now vice versa.
Ich habe vier andere Berichte gespeichert. Ich warte darauf daß sie freigelassen werden. :naja:
 
Zurück
Oben